Wednesday, August 18, 2010

One Cello x 16: Natoma - Zoë Keating

I have to admit, I've been holding out on writing because I've fallen in love with a few albums lately and haven't been able to do anything but listen to them and enjoy.  This is one of them.  I found her on Stereomood, but apparently a lot of listeners have found her on iTunes - she's been at the top of the classical music charts.  It's easy to hear why.  Her music is innovative and enigmatic.  Her list of awards is extensive and she's highly praised in her field.

The album title reflects her method of composition.  She is one cellist, using electronic sampling to create a full sound of multiple cellists.  Her music is highly repetitive, as one might expect with sampling, but at the same time full of variation and most surprisingly melody.  I've got "Sun Will Set" on repeat like a pop song.  Each track is a fully formed idea, each fragment is completely worked out, but never overhashed.  Zoë is brilliant cellist, but also a great orchestrator.

I've always found the cello to be a haunting instrument - my favorite classical works of all time are Bach's Six Suites for Unaccompanied Cello, so it figures that I wouldn't be able to resist what sound like a chorus of cellos.  It has the ambience of Arvo Pärt's Für Alina or Brian Eno's Music for Airports, but with a little more sound and as stated above, more melody to hold onto and remember after - see? haunting.

If you're not necessarily sure if modern classical music is for you - this album will change your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment