Tuesday, April 20, 2010

El Turista - Josh Rouse

My friend recommended this album to me.  I love it from the first phrase - a simple repetitive bass line (repetition being one of my favorite musical devices) and then piano enters with crisp clear chords and I'm hooked.  Here's the thing about this album, cleverly titled El Turista, that really appeals to me - Rouse is playing with multiple cultures, languages, and influences.  He sings in both Spanish and English.  I hear a bossa nova rhythm and mood, and maybe its my devotion to Paul Simon, but I hear his vocal influence, interest in rhythm, and play of layers, both culturally and musically.  Its a similar concept to many Paul Simon albums and songs, a white American male playing with music outside of his immediate realm, specifically music from Latin America, both with a strong interest in Brazil, displaced from his inspiration, recording and producing the final product largely in America (Nashville for Rouse).  Where Simon was more interested in the musical languages of specific artists or groups, Rouse uses bossa nova as a whole as his muse.  Rouse's appropriation is more subtle, like earlier Simon, but equally as effective.  "Sweet Elaine" and "I Will Live on Islands" are the best example of this.  This is a good review of the album: <http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/121060-josh-rouse-el-turista>

No comments:

Post a Comment