Tuesday, July 6, 2010

All Rebel Rockers - Michael Franti & Spearhead

I can't get this group out of my head since the show a few days ago.  I'm a little jaded on "Say Hey" (only in my head and that ended once I heard it again), but this album has plenty of happy, feel-good numbers to keep my interest peaked.  Its a little bit of obvious pop/rock, classic summer sounds, reggae, hip-hop, acoustic guitar, electronics, and plenty of good beats among other things.  It was this mix and the fact that AllMusic says "All Rebel Rockers is the first record by Franti's Spearhead that captures the power and goodwill of the band's live shows" that made me pick up this album immediately and made me unable to put it down since.  Franti's political penchant is still visible here, but it is given a new voice - one of joy and love despite that which he protests.

If I had one complaint, it would be that the beginning is loaded with the upbeat songs and the album gets progressively more laid-back.  A better mix and juxtaposition of tempos and mood might have worked better for the album as a whole.  Either way, I can't stop moving to each and every song on this album and I guarantee it'll have the same effect on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment