Sunday, July 4, 2010

Monitor - Titus Andronicus

I'd never heard of Titus Andronicus, but apparently they have a few releases.  This is their latest and only second real album, out just a few months ago.  Like most softer punk (I'm thinking Brand New or early Fall Out Boy) the band name, the song titles are references to literature, movies, obscure references in other genres of performance art (this particular band name a reference to Shakespeare's play).  This albums is different however in that it is a concept album based loosely on Civil War concepts.  Its now\t bad punk.  I've not really been listening to this kind of music for awhile and I miss it.  The bands I used to listen to in this genre, from this part of the country have put out albums since that don't really interest me anymore.  Monitor is the kind of sound I've been looking for, but the Civil War lyrics aren't something I can really grab onto beyond a nod of well done, whats next.  That's just me though, I'm not into music to learn about history unrelated to it.

Let's talk about the music.  The vocals are raw and gritty.  Sometimes I mistook him for Conor Oberst, especially in Desaparecidos.  In addition to a mix of underground indie artists contributing to the album in various ways, Titus Andronicus incorporates a lot of instrumentation including some bagpipes, some fiddle, other nonconventionals in this genre.  Its really an interesting mix and something this area of music has been missing for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment