Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I Learned the Hard Way - Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings

This album opens with authority.  The brass is definitive, powerful, overwhelming and Jones' voice is veritable, she brings with her the entire history of this genre and in fact, if I was told this album was from the 1960s I wouldn't be surprised.  It's nice to have some of this sound nowadays though and luckily this group is talented enough to account for the lack of similar bands for last few decades.  Lyrically the songs display wisdom and age, topics of maturity and growth ("The Game Gets Old," "I Learned the Hard Way," "Better Things," "She Ain't a Child no More"), but its not critical or boastful, its more matter of fact and a celebration of coming out better.  The frankness is refreshing, the funk is moving, and the rhythm is mollifying.  There is a confidence displayed by Jones backed up by excellent strength in the instrumentals, not on technically, but emotionally.  The album is solidly cut it two by the instrumental track "The Reason" - possibly the most upbeat of all the songs.  Usually I would be bored by slower laid-back tempos and a lack of immediately catchy hooks, but not here.  The music keeps me involved and inspired everything second for its own sake.  It's harder to explain, but it's a love more lasting.  I will be following this band and appreciate that they can deliver me an old-school soul sound in modern times in a market saturated with everything but.

No comments:

Post a Comment