Sunday, July 4, 2010

Rise Above - Dirty Projectors

Bitte Orca is an amazing album, if you haven't heard it - you need to.  This is the album preceding it.  I was hoping for the same unique sound and excellent writing and I think I got it.  I can't explain this music at all.  I've never really heard anything like it.  Its odd, but its not creepy.  The voices are slippery, slightly manipulated.  The sonic landscape is sparse.  The tempos, the melody are hard to follow.  They are irregular and often don't repeat, but the songs are not disjointed.  Each one feels complete and whole like they took each germ of an idea and realized it fully.  There is no danger of boredom - you have to listen to the entire song again to hear each part of it that got stuck in your ear.  Catchy hooks are not beat to death like a pop song, but they are definitely abounding.  The music is upbeat, but not bubble gum.  The lyrics are abstract and as stream of consciousness as the music.  Catchy stream of consciousness would be the best way to describe it I suppose.  I can't think of any other.  For those that enjoy music this definitely comes highly recommended, although still not as highly as Bitte Orca.  If their next album is that much better, I will be first in line to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment